NPI Registry NPI Details Help
The NPI Registry NPI Details page shows the user an individual provider's or
organization's NPPES health care provider data. Only the Freedom of Information
Act (FOIA) data related to the selected record is viewable. Information
associated with NPIs is updated daily. If the record being viewed has any
changes pending, the pending information will not be presented.
The following information is displayed for the selected NPI:
- NPI: The unique, 10-digit National
Provider Identifier (NPI) assigned to the provider.
- Enumeration Date: The date the NPI was assigned.
- NPI Type: 1 – Individual: Type 1 NPIs assigned to Individual Providers. 2 – Organization: Type 2 NPIs assigned to Organizational Providers.
- Sole Proprietor: Displays when viewing a Type 1 Individual NPI. Identifies if the Individual Provider is a Sole Proprietor.
- Status: Identifies if the NPI is Active or Deactivated.
- Authorized Official: Displays when viewing a Type 2 Organizational NPI. Identifies the Name, Title and Phone Number of the organization's Authorized Official.
- Mailing Address: The mailing address, phone number, and
fax number associated with the NPI
- Primary Practice Address: The address, phone number, and
fax number of the Practice Location associated with the NPI
- Secondary Practice Address: The address, phone number, and
fax number of and Secondary Practice Locations associated with the NPI
- Taxonomy: Taxonomy Codes are designed to categorize the
type, classification, and/or specialization of health care providers. A health
care provider may select more than one Healthcare Provider Taxonomy Code or
code description when applying for an NPI, but must indicate one of them as
- Primary Taxonomy: Identifies if the Taxonomy
is the Providers Primary Taxonomy.
- Selected Taxonomy: Taxonomy Code and Description
- State: State Code associated with the Taxonomy and License
- License Number: License associated with the Taxonomy
- Other Identifiers: Used to match NPIs to insurers so that the provider can continue to be recognized by the insurers.
- Issuer: Valid Issuers for Other Identifiers are:
- Medicare NSC
- Medicare OSCAR/Certification
- Medicare PIN
- Medicare UPIN
- Other - When Issuer is "Other", the actual issuer will be identified.
- Number: Number Code associated with the Issuer
- State: State Code associated with the Issuer
- Endpoint Information: Endpoint is where the service can be accessed by a client application.
- Endpoint Type:
- Direct Address
- SOAP URL
- Connect URL
- FHIR URL
- Restful URL
- Website URL
- Other URL
- Endpoint: Endpoint address
- Endpoint Description: Description of the Endpoint
- Use: How the Endpoint will be used
- Content Type: Identifies the content that is supported by the Endpoint
- Affiliation: Indicate the Legal Business Name of the Affiliated Identifier
- Affiliation Location: Displays the endpoint location address
- Home hyperlink: Returns to the Search Criteria page.
- Back to Results hyperlink: Returns to the Search Results page.
- View Map hyperlinks: Opens a new window in Google Maps for the selected address.
- NPPES hyperlink: navigates to the NPPES system Login page where providers can apply for and manage their NPIs.
- Downloads hyperlink: navigates to the
Data Dissemination page that contains information regarding the NPPES
Downloadable files. The NPPES Downloadable file is for those users
needing access to the full NPPES data dissemination file, please feel free to
utilize the monthly NPPES Downloadable File. The File can be found on the
Data Dissemination page. Please be sure to read the Facts about the
Downloadable File before attempting to download the actual file. The NPPES
Downloadable File is very large (exceeds 4 GB) and is intended to be
downloaded by individuals with the requisite technical expertise.
- API hyperlink: navigates to the NPPES API
Help pages. The NPPES Read API facilitates the reading of the public
information associated with an NPI (National Provider Identifier). All
information produced by the NPPES Read API is provided in accordance with the
NPPES Data Dissemination Notice.
NPI Registry Help Pages